Saturday, July 5, 2014

My last day on the Camino Olvidado

As I walked into Ponferrada today, where I was going to join the flow of humanity that walks the Camino Francés, I was thinking a lot about the yellow arrow.  The caminos are full of yellow arrows, we often take them for granted. But when you're walking alone on a camino that's pretty remote, the arrows have a much greater importance. In some cases, they keep you from getting lost. That's been true for me a number of times on this Camino.

And when one is missing in a crucial place, as it was for me at one point this morning, things get a little un-fun. There I was walking in the rain, no pink tracks on the gps, at a place where four unpaved roads converged.  My written instructions were unclear, so I walked back a few minutes to a farmhouse hoping to see a human being and there he was!  Crisis averted and a few more minutes along the trail and the arrows appeared again. 

But more than that, the arrows have a great psychic benefit, especially when you're not walking with others. They are a sign of camaraderie, a message that you're not alone. The amazing power of a little bit of yellow paint!

So here I am in Ponferrada on my first rainy day. My boots have been great! In fact I'd say the best ever. And sun is back in the forecast. Best of all, Rebekah is coming to walk with me for a few days. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie
    Thanks for sharing your journey form last year. I think you have inspired me to do the 'Olvidado'. Are you doing a part of 'El Camino' in 2015? I would love to hear more about your thoughts before you do these walks and reflections on how they went afterwards as well as your motivations for doing them.
    You have done all the routes that I have been planning in my mind's eye to do.
    Buen Camino
    Jon

    ReplyDelete