Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Into beautiful mountain country

Although I make a point of being thankful for every day my legs and feet will carry me another 30 kms on the camino, today is starting out to be a day of thankfulness overkill.

First because the owners of the place where I spent the night in Pandorado inisted that I call them whenever I had a problem. They promised to come get me whenever, wherever. Second because a woman, known only to me as Rosi, who lives in a town of 8 people about 30 km from where I'm starting out, has offered to take me in for the night and to make sure I feel comfortable heading over the mountains alone the next day.  And third, because for my next night, the owner of the casa rural (the only place to stay in that town) had told me that the casa is rented for the weekend but I was welcome to stay in their home.

All three of these things are decidedly not profit maximizing. Why would people do this for a stranger?  Is this a camino thing or is this a Spain thing?  Whatever it is, I am completely grateful.

The walk started out on a tiny country road, down to the little town of Omañuela, and then for a few kms I was just walking along a beautiful river, no towns, no people, no nothing. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment