Friday, July 18, 2014

Leaving in the rain

So I am walking again. I arrived in Santiago on Thursday morning before 9 and went straight to the pilgrims office to see all my friends and to get my first colorful compostela (new version printed this year, and it's quite beautiful, resembling an illustrated medieval manuscript).

I spent Thursday and Friday mainly doing one of two things -- writing compostelas or buying olive oil to stuff into my duffel. Both activities are quite fun. 

Since it's summer there are many more college age pilgrims, which adds a lot of spirit and fun lovingness to the camino. But there were plenty still walking in memory of someone or to fulfill a promise to the apostle. Though I didn't meet her, I heard of a young mom walking to fulfill a promise she made when her newborn was critically ill. Now the baby is 5 or 6 months old and the picture of health, so the mom walked while the dad and baby drove, making sure to meet up with mom for regular feedings. An 80 year old man walked in memory of his recently deceased wife and, as you might imagine, he was overcome with emotion in the pilgrims office. I wrote a compostela for a young woman who was born in my home town, and finally met a Camino Internet friend in person! Things like these made those days a lot of fun. 

So I woke up at about 6:15 to the sound of thunder and a hard hard rain. Back to bed. Up at 7:15 and nothing had changed, but I dressed and packed and stored my duffel with its 8 liters of oil and two kilos of beans at the front desk. After breakfast, I have to admit it, since it was still raining hard, I asked if they had rooms available for tonight. Negative. So, with the option of bailing out of the walk gone, I just put on my pack and poncho and headed out. 

33 km later, having put in and taken off my poncho at least a dozen times, I arrived with dry feet at Vilaserio. Nice private albergue and a few pilgrims for company. Not sure whether I'll go to Muxia or Finisterre first, but I will have 23 km of walking before I have to make the decision! 

Leaving Santiago

Even in the rain Pontemaceira is one of the loveliest little villages on any camino





Statue focusing on the human toll of emigration, always makes me sad (and particularly now with the huge waves leaving Spain for work) 


Pretty little church of Negreira


After fourteen years of caminos, I have found the best boots and sock combination ever!  Oh happy day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment