Saturday, July 5, 2014

From Quintana to Congosto

Once again I'm leaving one unknown little place and heading for another. It has been a continual source of gratitude that the people in these places have gone out of their way to help me find a bed for the night and food to eat as well.  The mayor of Quintana told me there is interest in promoting the camino but an overarching structure of some kind is needed. Especially in places like this, so close to the Camino Frances, the people know what having lots of dirty sweaty pilgrims traipsing  your town can mean in terms of revenue.

There are about 30 km to Congosto and I was warned that the marking might be less than perfect. 

But from Quintana to Labañiego was a perfectly marked route through the monte, many more kms than a straight line I'm sure. But good marking and nice off-road surface counts for a lot.  No barbed wire fences, no cattle planted in the middle of my path -- today's challenge was a swarm of flies that kept spinning around my head. Nothing too daunting, just an annoyance. 



Then another four or five through Arlanza, where several women wanted to chat and requested that I hug the apostle for them.  They told me all about their gardens and their grandchildren, two tremendous sources of joy for them. 

The terrain has changed a lot. Hotter climate, more agriculture. Cherries galore. 



In fact today I saw my first vineyard. I have been walking more than two weeks in Spain and today was my first vineyard?!




I have another 12 k or so to my destination, Congosto.  Another town where the owner of a casa rural has taken pity on me and will figure out a way to have someone open the house even though she's out of town. 

A p.s:  I made it fine to Congosto and am in a lovely casa rural, whose owner just gave me the keys to the house and told me to leave what I wanted on the table. I have been bowled over by the kindness and generosity of the people along this Camino. I think things will change tomorrow as I join the Camino Francés and the hoards. 

1 comment:

  1. Me han gustado mucho tus impresiones del Viejo Camino de Santiago. Gracias por compartir tus experiencias y sentimientos.

    ReplyDelete