Friday, July 11, 2014

Back in O'Cebreiro

My long mountain stages before joining the Camino Francés have trained me well. I left Villafranca at 7 am and by 1:15 or so I was in O'Cebreiro, 28 k away and hundreds of meters higher than where I set out. I could have actually gone on for another couple of hours but I had a comfy room and a glorious sunny and cool afternoon waiting for me at the top, so I happily plunked myself down and had to keep pinching myself.

The view on the way up: 



The view on the other side, from the top: 



It doesn't get much prettier than this. 

The now deceased priest of this little town is the one who's credited with the modern revival of the Camino. He asked the government for some help in marking the way, and they gave him gallons and gallons of surplus yellow highway paint. And that explains why we still follow yellow arrows. 







No comments:

Post a Comment