Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Heading out for the Camino Olvidado

With about twenty minutes before I have to leave for the airport, what better way to pass the time than to start this blog.  My pack is packed, my check list has been checked, and my boots are on.  Nothing else for now.

So, this year I will be walking another new Camino.  It is another one of the very remote ones, so I felt very happy when my "Camino friend" Susanna from Sweden and I decided we would try this one together.  We even have the tracks on a gps (but in a good division of labor, Susanna is the gps expert, I am the gps idiot).  We have done lots and lots of research and are feeling like we know what we are getting into.

Tomorrow we meet up in Bilbao, Pension de la Fuente, and then on Thursday start in a southwest direction.  We go through some great mountain territory and plan to take a day or two to stop and do day hikes to enjoy the mountains more.  In about 18 days, we will arrive in Ponferrada, which is on the Camino Frances (but this will be our only day on the Camino Frances).  From there we will take another detour, to this amazing little place  http://lamasera.blogspot.com  We will spend three or four days doing day hikes and then get on the Camino de Invierno.  I walked this Camino alone several years ago and it is beautiful and very un-traveled.  So having company will make this Camino even nicer.  I have a couple of friends who live in Galicia near this camino, so we may have some time to visit.

But in any event, our plan is to arrive in Santiago for the saint's day, July 24-25.  There is a huge fireworks party in the cathedra square, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp3tlafUOLs.  Not my kind of thing, really, but everyone says it is something to see at least once in your life.  So that will be my end of Camino.

Hoping that all goes well, and I will be trying to put pictures in this blog as I go.  We'll see if I can do that!  Buen camino, friends and loved ones.  Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment