Friday, June 20, 2014

Detour for Romanesque churches

We made the mistake of leaving around 9 am, thinking that since we only had 14 k to the town from which we'd saunter 10 lazy kms out to the churches, it'd be an easy day. Well once again the distance turned out to be wrong --it was 19 k to the town. And it is hot --32 in the shade outside our window. And we made a few wrong turns!

We had some really nice walks through small hamlets and a long stretch between a canal and a river.  Very pretty countryside with big rocky mountains now looming ahead. 

So we didn't get to our hotel till nearly 2pm and it was well after 3 before we set out to see these amazing little churches in the middle of nowhere but along nice river paths. No pack on my back means I felt like I was flying. 

The churches were absolutely amazing and I am so glad to have seen them, both from the 12th century and in terrific condition. As I was leaving the second one, it began to pour. (Susanna had gone back after the first because the sky was getting really dark. But I decided I was never coming back here so how could I pass it up).  The woman with the key to the church took me into her garage and as we waited for the rain to stop, her neighbor drove up and took me back to town. So on my second day on the Camino I've already taken a ride!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment