Sunday, June 29, 2014

Into Cistierna

I have walked into the sad town of Cistierna before, when I was walking a more north to south camino, the Vadiniense. It wasn't much of a walk that day. But today!  Coming in from the west through the mountains was one of those five star, top ten days. Cistierna is still a sad little town, but I know now that it is but a few kms from some incredible mountain scenery.




Since the day was going to be such a short one and the temperatures so low I decided to sleep in till 7:45. Unheard of for a peregrina. Breakfast at 8:15 and soon after 8:30 I was on my way back up to the mountain splendor. 




There were a couple of little detours to a small monastery in ruins (never found it) and to a big piece of Roman road so I took my time knowing that my destination didn't have much charm waiting at the end of the road. 

I also spent about 45 minutes standing and patiently waiting for the huge growling barking dog to go up the mountain with his sheep. 

Though this town has an albergue I opted for the 25 euro room at the Hostal Moderno where I ate a fabulous meal last time I was through. Good thing I did, too because I needed some help getting a tick out of my back. Two I was able to tweeze out myself but not that third one!  Lots of ticks this year because of the wet mild winter. I have never had a tick on any camino ever and now I have a few a day. In fact, yesterday after a quick walk around I looked in the mirror and saw one on my face!  

Off to what smells like it's going to be a great Sunday dinner!  

No comments:

Post a Comment