Monday, June 30, 2014

In Boñar, with plenty of time to kill

Leaving Cistierna, I was on familiar ground for a while because the Vadiniense (a camino I walked several years ago, which is also totally untravelled) passes through here.



A km or two after the bridge, though, we split. 

Today's walk was pretty flat, pretty much off road, past the requisite number of Romanesque churches (always at least 3 or 4) and seemingly a transition stage between the montaña palestina and the León side of the picos.



Though I didn't walk by any coal mines today, I was paralleling the FEVE (narrow gauge RR) and occasionally these cute little cars filled with coal would go chugging by.

Though I'm walking alone I find that villagers are usually happy to talk for a while while I rest. And today I had a call from another peregrina who's currently walking the camino I walked last year. She says it's very hot-- not up here, thankfully. In fact I almost dug out my wool gloves today when I started walking because it was very chilly. 

Under normal circumstances I might not be thrilled to have an afternoon to spend in Boñar, but last night I got an email from a friend who lives on the camino Francés and not too far away. She's planning to drive up for a visit-- lucky me! 

This town is known for its cecina and it's sweets so I'll have to try some and report back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment